Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pasadena Reflections by Pat H, Sandy, Linda, Doris, Delores, Chelsie, Lynette H.


Reflections on Pasadena mission trip….Pat H, Sandy, Linda, Doris, Delores, Chelsie, Lynette H.

Pat Hoffman, First Lutheran, Missouri Valley
Highlights of the trip to Skid Row:
·        The eyes of the men in awe as they received the hygiene bag and items included.
·        A comment “Just what I needed”. 
·        The kind reception as the men met us. 
·        Emotionally losing it upon seeing a young mother with a well-behaved 1-1/2 year old boy and 3 year old girl.  I put my hand on her shoulder after giving her clothes and health items for the children.  I told her how much Jesus loves her and told the children Jesus loves them.  I also told the two children, “I know your mother loves you.  You are blessed with her love and Jesus loves you.”
Their mother shook her head yes and dropped her head down in tears, as I said to her, “Isn’t that true?” I told her to keep working to go forward because she is special.  Again she nodded yes.  I assured her that I will be praying for her and the two children. 
                                                                                                                                                                                    

Sandy Day, Trinity Lutheran, Jefferson
This was my first mission/witness trip.  What a super experience!  I am very grateful to my mother for the gift of this trip.  My faith has definitely been strengthened by my many new friends in our group and the many strangers I was able to witness to.  I really enjoyed our activity where we each made a comment in each person’s Bible.  It made me appreciate the connections I have made with others on our trip.  Thank you Ellie for being an awesome leader!
                                                                                                                                                                                   
 
Linda Sprague, St. Paul, Ankeny
This trip was way more than I imagined!  I was so pumped for it but the trip was twice what I expected!  Float building is an art and people were so very friendly and open.  Skid Row was an expected eye-opener.  What struck me was how stark the building was.  No pictures on the walls, no chairs to recline or feel comfortable in.  Just the nothingness that goes on.  Yet I realize it is much better than the street.  As for the hand outs of personal care items, one man had watery eyes after inspecting his bag of items.  He said it was just what he needed as he was out.  Talk about God’s timing!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Doris Nahnsen, Immanuel Lutheran, Schleswig
This trip we worked at a mission on Skid Row.  We served a meal and distributed health care kits and items.  Many people had many needs yet many knew Jesus as their Savior.  Even though their needs were great their faith was strong.  One gentleman and I were talking about Iowa and snow.  He said snow is beautiful.  He said snow is white and that the snow is like Jesus.  Jesus’ great love covers the darkness of sin and makes all things white and clean like snow.  I will never look at snow the same again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Delores Schall, St. Paul Lutheran, Eldora
This has been an experience of a life time! It far exceeded anything I had expected. When we flew out of Des Moines, I knew we were in God's hands. The lodging - meals - vans - drivers - everything just flowed like Ellie said it would! What an amazing gal.
Being a part of building the Lutheran Hour float, Home and Garden, US Bank, Micro Soft and more, was an awesome experience. The flowers were spectacular!!! Sunday morning when we saw those huge floats rolling out of that building in the sunshine, I thought I was in heaven!
The side trips to Hollywood, Santa Monica Pier (yes, Lynn it was worth it), Pacific Ocean, and Ronald Reagan Library were also a plus that I never expected to ever see.
The parade was awesome! (Just the parade was on my bucket list)  The parking - seating - food - sunshine - made it a perfect day.
Being able to go to Skid Row was very sad and humbling. We are so blessed that God has guided our lives and we have made some right choices. Now I will pray for those people every day.
It was a very faith building trip for me. The daily Bible studies were such a blessing and I came home with many wonderful memories. The people on our trip were friendly - great - wonderful - inspirational - I miss you all!!!
I know some of us will be friends forever ---- Thanks SO MUCH !!!! God Bless You All
                                                                                                                                                                                    

Chelsie Heetland, Faith Lutheran, Adel
This trip has been absolutely amazing!  Throughout the days of working on the floats I volunteered to work on the scaffolding of the floats which was very high.  The very first day was very nerve wracking and a lot of prayers were said so I wouldn’t fall off and would stay safe.  I found myself constantly praying.  As the days continued and the heights stayed the same I found myself calm because I knew that God would keep me safe.  It was a great feeling.  Spending the day at Skid Row was also a highlight of the trip.  One lady stands out especially to me.  She was dancing and so excited because she got a washcloth. The most basic item and one we take for granted could provide someone such great joy!
                                                                                                                                                                                    

Lynette Heetland, Faith Lutheran, Adel
I am so excited that my three girls and husband were able to go to this mission trip with me.  It was a blessing to me that we could serve God by decorating the Lutheran Hour float.  The amount of time and flowers that goes into each float is amazing.  When the floats were pulled out of the building and the sun shone on the flowers, they just glowed.  So very beautiful!  God has blessed us with so many different colors and types of flowers.

It was great to see my girls witnessing their faith to others.  You never know if that one comment will get that person to heaven.  This trip helped all of our faith to grow as well.  It continues to amaze me how a simple comment of “I will pray for you” or “Jesus loves you” will brighten a person’s day. Even just a smile.  We need to remember to do this at home as well, since our mission field is everywhere, not just in LA.  As Gerald says, “Isn’t it fun working for Jesus!”
___________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment