Monday, July 19, 2010

Photos from the Journey








SKID ROW!


What a day!!!! Saturday, July 10 was a day that will be remembered for a lifetime by our team. We left the hotel wondering what we would see, what we would experience and how it would affect us. Our caravan of four mini vans made its way into the inner city of Los Angeles to an area called Skid Row. It is an area where 8,000 – 9,000 homeless people live. Some live in shelters and most live on the street. We joined Gerald and Kimberley Fortier who go once a month to minister, feed and cloth people on Skid Row. We met in a fenced-in parking lot of the Union Rescue Mission on San Julian Street.

The day started with a circle prayer by all the volunteers. Then Gerald and Kimberley had a church service. Our IOWAY team sang a few songs. The Skid Row ‘guests’ were offered a Bible. We distributed the ones we ‘marked’ to guide the person through the Bible to learn of Jesus love.

After the service, the people were given a substantial meal. IOWAY provided 200 bananas, 200 bottles of water and $250 for the purchase of the broasted chicken. The $250 was a generous gift from the adult Bible Class at Immanuel Lutheran Church at Schleswig.



After the service, each person was given an opportunity to pick out clothes that they needed and we distributed health kits. Then they opened the gate and let ten at a time come into the area for food, clothing and health kits. The people were so very grateful for what they received. As I work with the homeless I continue to hear the term, “new homeless”, referring to the many individuals and families who recently lost their jobs and find themselves homeless. We met people who ‘had it all’—the house, cars, boat, job, etc and they lost everything when they lost their job.



Some of you reading this may expect that we saw lots of drunks and drug addicts. We did not. I am sure there are many on the streets, but we met basically people like you and me who are in need of help. The thing that broke my heart was seeing the families. Many parents were trying to keep their family together. In some cases the parents have a job but the job does not pay enough to support their family.



We worked with David, a man who has a heart for the homeless. He works to find jobs for the homeless. He shared with me that he is currently working with a homeless Mom with six children and with three homeless teens to find jobs for them. I personally met the teens. It is sad to hear stories about the homeless but it takes on a new meaning when you meet, pray with and hug the homeless teens.



When we returned to the hotel, we spent two hours as a group discussing our experiences of the day. It is hard to put emotions into words, but I think the following will give you a good understanding of the experiences as expressed by members of our IOWAY team. Ellie Menz



1. The day made me feel guilty for all of the things that I am blessed with. I have a place to call home and I can afford clothes and food. I’m only seventeen and I have a job. There are so many adults with much more experience and a better education than me and can’t get a job! I have so many things that I don’t even need when I could have used that money for something much more important for someone who is in need. It also made me sad to see all of the people and how hungry they were and how they had to wait for hours just to get a decent meal. I was amazed at how appreciative they were to just get some clothes and maybe a pair of shoes. I felt sad that so many had to be turned away because we ran out of food. Also, that many of the people can’t help that they are homeless, and have just fallen on hard times. Angela Jolly, Norwalk



2. Even though lots of clothes were donated to the people on Skid Row on Saturday, large women’s sizes (18-22W sizes) are hard to find. A large woman came up looking for size 20 & 22. Through God’s mercy, I picked up one of the many bags and guess what size was in that bag? All the clothes in that bag were size 18 to 22. Doris Nahnsen, Schleswig



3. I was assigned to work at the gate allowing people to come in and out. I was cursed at and heard many depressing things, but I was astonished to see and hear how hungry people were. People were so hungry that they were crying, cursing, swearing, and even fighting over just the concept of hunger/food. After awhile, I saw a woman vomit on the street. It was probably from malnutrition, drinking or some disease, but within minutes people were swarming the puddle of vomit. They were so hungry they’d eat anything. In this case, they were eating her vomit, picking out the chunks. After seeing that, I wonder why the Government is paying millions of dollars on pointless, stupid little things, and not on buying food to feed the homeless and poor. If we could afford one or two meals a day for them, we could change their lives! Cody Clausen, Schleswig



4. A biker from the ‘Sons of God’ motorcycle club who were volunteers, like us, told me a story. He told me that when he was about forty five he got into drugs. But at fifty, he went into a church that he was walking past because he heard beautiful singing. He heard the sermon. He liked it so he came the second week and liked it so he kept coming and he said that he keeps learning more. Andrew Reeve Glenwood



5. A. I met a man who had 3 small children. They live in a mission for right now. He asked me if I

could find a pair of pants for his 2 year old because he only had one pair of pants.



B. I was helping a little girl find clothes for her and her sister. I asked her if she needed underwear and she said, “what’s underwear?”



C. I met a man who asked me if I could find size 9 ½ shoes for him. I went to find some, but there were no men’s shoes in his size. There were many who needed shoes and they went so quickly, so many did not get any.



D. I helped a man find clothes for church because he wanted to look nice for church! I also found a suit for a man who wanted one for a job interview. Colleen Petzenhauser, Lake City



6. Today it was a very different day from all others. Today I saw the world with different eyes. Seeing all those people waiting for a plate of food was sad but also made me see that I am very blessed to have a plate of food on the table every day. Also, now I see that I am so blessed to have a place to sleep and to have a family. Claudia Perez-Garcia, Denison



7. As we were holding a church service for anyone who wanted to go, I went over to the gate where people entered. As we were sitting there, a little boy and his sister came to the gate. I started talking to them and the little girl was teaching me a patty cake game. It was really interesting and I’ve never done it before but it was really fun connecting with the kids that way. It was really sad though to think these little kids live on the streets and I get to go to this nice hotel at the end of the day. It’s hard to get over a feeling like that. Jessica Overturf, Norwalk



8. Towards the end of the time at Skid Row there were people coming in to get clothes. The food was gone at this point. I was just standing by the gate with Mac and saw a guy in a wheelchair passing by on the other side of the fence, so I started talking to him and he asked me what I was doing. I told him we were on a mission trip.

During our devotional time at the hotel, we have been watching ‘Answers in Genesis’ and we learned this thing where you ask people about their faith through certain questions trying to get them thinking about it. The questions include: 1) What do you mean by that? 2) How do you know that’s true? 3) What difference does what you’re saying make in your life? 4) What if you’re wrong? I felt as though he was asking me these questions and it totally took me by surprise because I’ve never been asked that stuff before. He was asking me what God has done for me and I was saying He gave me my family and friends and he wouldn’t accept my answers so then I said something about how God gave me my mom and my life and the fact that she didn’t abort me. Something with that answer he liked and he accepted that. I was happy to witness to him and told him God Bless You and thank you and then he went on his way. Jessica Overturf, Norwalk.



8. When we got there it was full of people, but the lady that got my attention was a Hispanic who lives at the mission. She has three kids, 2 boys and 1 girl,15 years old. She told me she couldn’t get all the clothes she wanted because they have a limit on how many clothes they can have and she asked me if I could ask everyone to pray for her so she could get a home.



The other thing that almost made me cry was when a van drove by on the street giving out food and all the people started running and some left their kids on the sidewalk. I felt really bad.



9. I think this was the most eye opening experience that I have ever had. You just don’t see things like what I saw today anywhere in the Midwest. I just saw so many disturbing things today, but I also think at points I was the most excited person there. Payton Kalambakidis, Glenwood



10. Many people who have heard of Skid Row only remember the violence or bad things that have happened there. Most people that will read this story will have a different view on what we can do to change the lives of others. Today I met many people that used to be just like us and some that used to have it all. Now those people are struggling for anything they can get their hands on. They had many material possessions until the economy or family members took everything from them. We all take everyday things in life for granted. Back in Iowa we all get meals three times a day every day, but in Skid Row some people go for a couple days without a meal. Also, in the morning we get to decide what clothes we get to wear for the day, while people in Skid Row wear the same clothes for weeks at a time. When there are any mission groups that go to Skid Row, the people there rejoice, because they finally get new clothes and food and health care supplies. In Iowa we have houses that we own and live in. In Skid Row people are lucky if they get apartments or a shopping cart full of all their possessions. Sometimes we don’t like the way our house looks or we think that we need a better this or that, but we don’t. There are people in Skid Row that would be blessed to live in a home like you or I do. Almost all of the people that are out in Skid Row are extremely thankful whenever missionaries or anyone who comes to Skid Row to hand out life’s necessities to them.

Whenever we go through our daily lives we don’t usually think about how good we have it. We all have plenty of food for our self each and every day. There are people that are starving right now throughout the world. We all have plenty of social contact with our family and friends. We don’t think about how much we as a country depend on money in today’s lifestyle, but these people in Skid Row can only dream about money and many other things that aren’t available to them. We don’t have to worry about where we are going to sleep at night or what clothes we need. We don’t think about what we can do to help others that can’t help themselves. If we all could save just five dollars a week that would add up to $260 a year that you alone can give. I know that five dollars isn’t that much to save each week. With the $260, you could buy clothing, food and health care supplies for missions to poor areas around the world or even in our own country. Also, with the $260 you could just keep it for yourself and spend it on something you will eventually throw away or use once and that’s it. Many people that will read this story will forget a lot of things that we can do to help. If you can only remember one thing from this story please remember that every little bit can help many people. Many people don’t know how little can change a person’s life. A little smile or even a hello could completely change a person. We as a country should stand up together for a better American dream for the Skid Row area.

Derek Rothe, Schleswig



11. What do you think of when you hear the words “Skid Row?” Violence, drugs, murder. . . . well you are right. But would you ever guess that these homeless people are just like you and me? Really, some have a job and work every day. Some can afford to pay for food and hygiene stuff, but they can’t afford a house for their family. These guys are called the new homeless. Yes, there are the homeless that we think of. But most of these people try to get a job and I saw that their spirits are so high. It just blows your mind. It is almost sad because their spirits are pretty much higher than our own. How can that be? They have more to look forward to in their lives. One thing that I have gained from this is, to always keep my spirit high. No matter what happens to you, put bad things in the past and forget about it. Always look forward because you can change the future to be better. So if you have had troubles, forget about them and keep looking forward because there is always something better. Michael Rothe, Schleswig



12. One of the bikers in the ‘Sons of God’ bike group told us about his life before Christ. He said that he was in drugs and alcohol and just bad stuff like that. He said that one day during a drug deal in front of a church he heard a lady singing, so he decided to go in and take a look. When he got in he heard the pastor preaching and decided to go back the next week. That was eleven years ago and he has been to that church every Sunday since that day. Now he is a great servant of God. He feared at first that God wouldn’t love him because of his past. But, the pastor told him God sees through that and always loves you. He does anything he feels God has in mind for him. He helps at Skid Row every time they do their devotion/service meal. He is an amazing man to turn his faith to the Lord. Adam Nahnsen, Schleswig



13. A. Lavelle was a guy Suzan got to know who came to get clothes. When he came in, I started to help him pick out clothes. Well as time went on I kept seeing him picking out clothes so when he was ready to leave I walked up to him and started talking with him. I gave him my “ABLAZE” bracelet. I explained what it stood for. He was so happy that he hugged me and said I was blessed by God and he wanted me to come back next year and see him.



B. A family came in with two little kids, so I started helping them pick out clothes. I held up clothes and the boy’s eyes got really big because he was so happy to have new clothes. So he and I started to mess around and have fun. And the touching part was he actually got some of my old clothes that I had donated. Kodi Hawthorne, Lake City



14. My story still needs to be determined if it is true or not but it could happen. My story is about an old lady I visited with who used to have a great life with a lot of money and a huge house. She said her family was mean and took it all from her. She then had to move onto the streets. While living on the streets she got a $20,000 lottery ticket and won the $20,000 ticket but the cashier lied and said it wasn’t a winner and took the ticket and cashed the money for herself. So she said she is still trying but nothing but bad has happened to her for a long time. Baker Cambridge, Glenwood



15. We were sitting by the gate waiting for the distribution to begin and these two little kids came up and started talking to us. We let them in and started playing with them and they taught us some games. When it was time for them to go and they didn’t want to leave. Anonymous



16. There was this guy named Murphy and he comes every month. He saw Gerald and yelled, “Gerald, Gerald I want you to meet my son: Gerald. He loves the Lord too!!” Anonymous



17. I felt sorry for a little girl who was the last person and she didn’t get a chance to eat. We were out of food. I was helping a lady get some clothes for her and her daughter and also for her friend. There was another lady and I was helping her get some baby clothes and she was happy to get clothes and she thanked me for helping her and she was talking to me about her story.

Sonia Reeve, Glenwood



18. Lavelle was sitting on the ground next to the gate. He was a middle aged black man who had just finished going through the tables of donated clothes. He was gently folding each of his new treasures and placing them in his newly acquired suitcase that had come from Iowa. I went over and asked if I could sit and help him pack his suitcase. He said sure. I sat down next to him and started a conversation about where he was from. He stated that he was originally from Indiana and then moved to Phoenix 21 years ago. He became homeless about 8 years ago. He lost his job, moved to the streets and after not being able to get another job, he started working at a mission shelter and volunteering all his time. He was homeless off and on. He moved from Phoenix to LA because of all the violence in the inner city that he experienced in Phoenix. He has been in LA since 2007 and he volunteers at the nearby shelter. He has a small room at the shelter. He attends church. He then told me that he recently won a contest. The prize is a house, car, boat and TV. He said the paperwork is in process. I had a hard time believing him at that point seeing how pleased he was with the second hand clothes he just picked out.

A lady on the other side of the fence started cussing and calling out names. Lavelle said, “Ignore her, the demons have her tongue!”

I helped Lavelle zip up the suitcase. He stood up and put his arms around me and gave me a hug. He said, “Thank you. God bless you. It was a blessing to meet you.” He was optimistic, even with his situation. Whether or not his story about winning a house was true, he had hope for himself and was a servant to others. I gave him the heart medallion that I had been carrying in my pocket all week. I explained how he had touched my heart by taking the time to share his story with me. Suzan Reeve, Glenwood



THANK YOU for taking the time to ‘experience’ Skid Row with our IOWAY team as we shared our thoughts.

THANK YOU for your prayers. It was an amazing trip. It was a life changing and faith building trip for our team.



God bless you as you serve Him by serving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment