Friday, September 23, 2005

Carol experiences Katrina!

Hi,

**Following is a verbal montage of my post-Katrina experiences as a volunteer.
Before I even left, a young Vietnamese man asked if he could send money with me - he didn't know where to send it. I told him that if he wanted to trust me I would take it. He handed me a folded up bill and a card with his name & address. When I looked at the bill later, I realized he had given me $100.

**As we landed in Baton Rouge, there was a round of applause for those of us traveling to volunteer.

**Memories from the shelters: A doctor, and nurses prayed over, talked, and held a suicidal mom whose 2nd son had been killed in the street before Katrina hit. As she tried to take his picture to the mortuary, a wall of water hit. She made it to safety with nothing, not even his picture. By the power of Jesus, she was convinced she had a purpose and would go on. She smiled.

**A 77 year old black woman who had lost everything told me, "If we trust Jesus, we never need to worry about anything."

**One day we gave a list of needed medications. I was with a medical team, and by the end of the day almost all of those medications were delivered from private donors.

**Over and over again, from complete strangers, "God bless you for coming."
And finally, in a dark home, deep in the woods of Louisiana, where we had to be led by the Mayor in order to find her, we met Olivia. She was wheelchair bound, no electricity, living alone, with major medical problems. It was HOT. And as we ministered to her, in that house lit by 2 flashlights, she began to recite the 23rd Psalm. We all joined in, and then we prayed with her, hugged and kissed her, and left, and we were all changed and strengthened.
We went and prayed as we went to go where Jesus would have gone. He answered our prayers.
"Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come. His grace has brought me safe so far, His grace will see me home." And His grace did see us home safely. God bless.

Carol Fechner, (Wife of Pastor Dave Fechner who previously served at Glidden and Sioux City)

No comments:

Post a Comment