Friday, July 10, 2009

IOWAY: An Amazing Opportunity




HI family and friends of IOWAY,

Yesterday was a day of hard work landscaping, canvassing, making posters, assembling crafts, planning lessons and practicing skits. After supper we took a break. Some went to a local beach for an hour and others went to Santa Monica Pier to shop, eat and enjoy the beautiful summer cool weather. We are all amazed at how cool it is here. Then we got together for sharing, planning and devotions.

Following are a few statements from IOWAY team members after devotions this morning:

Tracy says: It is neat that IOWAY is intergenerational-teens and adults working together. It brings out the best in both. It helps them appreciate their own and other’s abilities. It is a team working for Jesus and reaching out to others. I enjoyed the canvassing and am looking forward to meeting the kids who will be coming to VBS.

Adam N: Whole trip is great. Just to see how different people live and to see the different churches. Feels good that we can help out with the churches. Words of advice: Go on this trip!

Paul: It is amazing! I wish I had found out about it earlier. People need to take advantage of this opportunity. It is also great to see different parts of the country and different lifestyles. I was blessed to grow up in a Christian community. If we can make a difference even for a week, it is worth it.PS: At 6’6”, bathrooms on an airplane are a challenge.

Lee: I think each day is rewarding and exciting at the same time. Our group is working very hard with a landscaping and painting project.. This trip is life changing and hard to put into words.

Jessica: I absolutely love the people at St. Paul They are so willing to give and to give to others. They give food to people as they come to church. We learn so much from them on giving. Warm environment, protected and I feel so safe.

Katie: Really like our church, Hope. Jason is warm and welcoming. Mia came to help and just pitch in. I am very glad that I am on the trip. The life stories of the people who are here are so great to hear.

April: Our team is working at different churches each day and everything here is wonderful. Amanda. Feel like I am meant to be here.

Claudia: Our church is Faith… Lawrence is such a giving person. Lawrence is the baton twirling/music leader/ janitor. Lynda is always motivating and helping us. Everyone is nice. Canvassing was scary at first and today the dogs are still J scary. It is a great experience to see how other people live and I feel like I want to be here.

Ellie: The Residence Inn is amazing to our group. They have a meeting room that we can use at no cost if it is not being rented. Weeks ago I was told that it was available for our use for the two weeks. Then on Monday morning, we were told that the first week has been rented but the second week was OK for us to use. I was told that it was rented for 24 hours each day from today until Sunday night. I was very concerned where we would meet.

While on the phone, I said, “Well, I will just have to pray that they will cancel.” She laughed and said, “No they come often and they never cancel” This morning when I went to get breakfast one of the team members told me that I was wanted at the front desk.

She came out of her office with a big smile and said,”Guess what…they cancelled and the room is yours for the weekend.”I said thank you and reminded her of our conversation about praying that they would cancel. She looked up, folded her hands and said with a big smile, “Today I know that God is real!”

Later….off to finish the laundry and then to Hope and Faith churches today. God bless you and thank you for your prayers.

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment