Sunday, July 12, 2009

Reflections of Watts & Skid Row

Greetings,

Following are thoughts from more of our team members after a day of working with the homeless in the Watts and Skid Row areas.

Jessica O: Today we went to Watts and Skid Row and it was an amazing eye opener. Even though we feel as though we never have anything, these people that we met really don’t have anything, but a HUGE faith in God. It really showed me that even though you have ‘nothing’, people can still have an amazing faith in the Lord our Father.

Alma: Today was a very sad day for me because I saw a lot of people who don’t have a house or family or food. When I see a lot of people waiting for food. I feel God in my heart for helping those people. I said thanks God for giving me this opportunity to help these people and change my life.

Derek: We saw the Watts Tower today. I got to feel like a messenger for God. I invited people into ‘heaven’. A bad thing was when the food was all given away, I had to tell a little girl that we didn’t have any food for her.

Adam M: Today we started bright and early to start our several hour trip to help our new friends that were very unfortunate. I got to help clean a yard for a lady who couldn’t do it. After that we went to Skid Row and I have never seen that many homeless people. Some of their stories were really sad. It was a real eye opener and was very touching. God bless.

Olivia: Today was a very eye opening experience to see how different life is here. Also, how God still works in people’s lives no matter what.

Abby: This was surreal. We helped the homeless and packed backpacks. I feel changed already. I loved working at Skid Row and really feel changed. PS piano paid off. (Note: Abby used her musical talents while the meal was served)

Mac: This was an amazing experience to go to Skid Row. The feeling it gives you to know you are helping someone in need is just amazing.

Kim: It isn’t the stuff that makes you happy. It is sharing Jesus with others. The money that was donated helped provide backpacks with health kits and lunches for 100 people.

Shelby: Today was life changing. I had an idea of what skid row was going to be like but to be honest, it was so much worse. I thought I knew how the homeless lived because I have seen them before but seriously no one can understand how Skid Row really is unless you’ve been there and see what happens.

April: This was the most life changing experience I have ever been though. I loved working in the Watts ‘projects’. It was good to help the kids and to see their smiles was heart warming. This day at Skid Row was hard on the emotions but it is something I think people should experience. It will definitely change the way I look at the world.

Claudia: Today was very different from the other days. It is something that I have never lived before. At this moment, I feel very different, like a new person, seeing the world with different eyes.

Adam N: When I first got there I was fairly nervous. The Pastor there comforted us before we started. After a little while, I found out that they are just people. The bad part at the end of the day was telling people that we were out of food. It was hard. Also, to think we sleep in a comfortable bed, while they sleep on the sidewalk. But, we helped out a lot of people.

Jessi: This being my third year, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. So far it just keeps opening my heart more and more and just keeps deepening my faith in Christ. This year has really had an effect on me. We visited Watts and heard many touching stories and I thank God that Cory helped deepen my faith with a very touching encounter. I thank God for everything that happens that deepens my faith.

Kristina: The experience today was a life changing event. I feel really bad for the homeless people on Skid Row. What we did today is so hard to explain in words. I appreciate everything I have and everyone (Mom and Dad) that helps me in my life.

Kenneth: The people I met at the church are the coolest. Some events, example—Skid Row- changes a life in the biggest way. It is an experience of a life time to go to LA in good and bad parts of town. Getting to see things I had never seen is heart wrenching. Let them all get better in life. Pray for them please.

TJ: It was life changing and makes you want to cry because of how the people live here and I feel like I am being greedy because of how much I have and how good I have it. Also I will never take things for granted and I will always be happy with what I have.

Tracy: Our visit to the ‘projects’ in Watts and to Skid Row in Los Angeles really opened our eyes. We all know about poverty and homelessness, but to be amoing it for the day made it very real to us. Not only do these people need to hear about the love of Christ, they need the basics of daily survival, food, drink, clothes, shelter…… Many of the teens were moved to tears by what they saw. We will always keep this day in our hearts.

Siera: It hit me really hard today seeing Skid Row. It is so sad that so many people are homeless in LA. It makes me want to do more for the homeless back in Sioux City. I plan to send clothes and money to people on Skid Row. (sent to an ongoing Skid Row ministry)

Mike: Today we served the homeless. It makes you feel very very depressed and sad because we take so much for granted that we might complain about. Also Skid Row has a population of 7,000-8,000 people. That is more people than the biggest town in Crawford County. So I am just speechless and you have to see it on your own.

Angela: This really reminded me of how lucky we are. I’m never gonna take things like clothes and food for granted. It is scary to think of how these people live out on the streets. I’m never going to forget this amazing experience.

Lee: You can not even begin to imagine the sights, smell and sadness along Skid Row in LA. Families living on the streets. Our hearts were left there. We prayed, gave Bibles, fed the homeless and provided 100 people with backpacks filled with personal items, lunches, etc. We must pray!

Paul: Today was an experience that you cannot understand unless you see it. Men, women and children living on the street is depressing and almost makes you feel guilty for having all the things we have. It was hard to go back to the comfy hotel knowing that thousands of people will be sleeping on the streets.

Today, Sunday, each team went to the church where they will be teaching VBS tomorrow. Then went out to eat and had a “day of rest” –sleeping, reading, visiting and relaxing.

Please pray for Amanda, one of our IOWAY team members, and her family. Her Grandfather died today. We wish her family God’s blessings and comfort.

Thank you, Ellie Menz

No comments:

Post a Comment