Saturday, July 27, 2013

Team Member Reflections-West Virginia 2013



     What a joy to share Jesus with children
Stand Strong!
in Lewisburg, WV.  His children both young and old are so unique and such special blessings.  It has been a week of unique experiences.  Whether we are in Iowa or WV God is with us and His love never changes.
Eileen

What an unforgettable amazing week.  The children enjoyed the week but I’m sure not as much as the adults. (Even if it was WORK) It certainly was an emotional time and really pulled the strings of my heart.  I was asked to step outside my box several times, but it did me good.  I’ve learned to talk more openly about Christ and His love, even to strangers.  Go figure-they thanked me for it and even wanted to pray with me.  I believe we had an impact on the city of Lewisburg even if it was a drop in the bucket. Speaking of bucket, is a mission trip on your bucket list? If not it should be! Deb Preul

I would have to say my biggest impact was being grateful to have Jesus in my life.  This trip opened up my eyes and made me realize what I have is better than what some others have.  If you are thinking about this mission trip to West Virginia go for it because you have one life to live and this trip opens your eyes.  Many children don’t know about Jesus but we were able to teach them so much about Jesus.  When the children heard about Jesus - it enlightened their minds.  Kendra Hopp

It was a great blessing for me to share my faith with the people and especially the children of Lewisburg, WV I also had nine awesome friends in Christ to share this blessing with.
I would recommend this trip to anyone considering a mission trip. Sharon Witt

The week of July 12-19 has been an exciting experience of being with Iowa Christians working together to spread and share God’s love and word. 
The amazing children of Lewisburg are truly the most versatile and fast learning group.  They may not act like they are listening but the Holy Spirit is working in them to hear and learn all the Good News.
This week’s experience provided us with the knowledge to share the unique environment of the family life here in West Virginia.  Karen S

I volunteered for this trip without knowing what was involved and without knowing what my position entailed. It was a long ride to West Virginia but with the three other ladies I rode with from my church, it all promised to go well.  Upon arriving at the church in Lewisburg, I was impressed with Pastor Lohmeyer and his wife Judy.
The school we held the day camp at was pretty large, and at first the class was small, but grew throughout the day. We were very well treated by the staff and others belonging to the school-a big help if we needed something!
We started singing with Eileen leading us, and to watch those children sing, dance, and do the actions, made me love them from the start!  Every day was a treat to watch the children participate in all the activities and to see them learning and remembering the bible accounts.  My faith has grown right along with them all.  I feel I have grown in my love for Christ and my power and self confidence has grown to the point where I can help someone find God’s love also.  Shirley

An Ioway West VA mission trip has so many facets from getting to know your team members who come from all across Western Iowa, to meeting new people in West Virginia, to sharing God’s love with people all along the route, to teaching God’s love to children at the day camp and to understanding a different culture than ours. Over and over we saw God’s presence in our days as he protected us with safe travel even in the winding roads of the mountains and the thunderstorms that made it difficult to see. Plus He gave us the energy and the willingness to do the things he asked us to do.

One highlight for me was the prayer walk through town as our group was able to ask several people what we could pray for them for.  How appreciative they were to be prayed for. It was with goose bumps that we prayed for the people in the houses that we didn’t meet.  Knowing that God knew what these people needed. The other happy-sad highlight was in saying goodbye to the children. Giving the hugs and one last time telling them that God loves them. They literally hung on to the promise of God loving them and because of Jesus we will see them later. Ruth

How to express the joy that the children at the day camp experienced?  They learned about Jesus through songs, skits, crafts, and interaction with the Mission group.  I have been privileged and honored to have been among such spiritually uplifting people for my week in West Virginia.  This has been such an experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. 

I would encourage any and all of you to experience this joy at least once in your lifetime.  How about next year?  Shirley Kading

Photo Journey



No comments:

Post a Comment