Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Team Member Reflections

Greetings from Los Angeles! 
We had a great day today, Sunday, at two of the churches where we had VBS last week.  The people were very appreciative of our help.  This afternoon we enjoyed a delicious meal at Hometown Buffet.  Then off to the beach for some relaxing and building some sand castles. There is amazing talent in this group.  The sand castles were awesome.  Then back to the hotel to reveal our secret servants and to have a special foot washing service.

Monday, July 22, we head back to Iowa to serve God there.  Thank you for your prayers and your support.  God has truly blessed our outreach.  It was a fulfilling, rewarding, exciting, learning experience.

Following are the reflections of the team as they looked back over their two week mission trip:

I’ve been on two other mission trips, but this trip has really been special and meant so much to me. I’ll start with the amazing people we met. I’m not going to list their names, but they’re so loving and supportive right from the very first time we met. I never one felt uncomfortable or awkward Skid Row was one of the major highlights of this trip. It really opened my eyes to how blessed I really am. We think we have it bad sometimes, but people there basically have nothing, yet they’re still smiling and living their life. VBS at the churches was absolutely amazing. I’ve never had that much fun before teaching God’s word and helping out. One really cool thing that I got to do was play piano while our VBS directorJoe Mitchell, who is also a professional musician, played percussion. (This was at Christ Lutheran Church by the way.) I was blessed to work at St. Philip’s church too and I loved the diversity with getting to work with the elderly and the kids. You get so close to the people you work with and teach that it’s hard to leave. This trip has strengthened my faith more than other trips I’ve been on. (The other trips are still really good though!) I’ve taken on a while different perspective on so many things.
-- Jena Nahnsen

This trip meant a lot to me. This was my first trip so I was kind of nervous about it. I didn’t know what to expect because I was going to be with people I have hardly talked too. As soon as we landed in California everything felt normal because everyone that came was so caring and supportive about everything. Also, every new face we met in California was so welcoming and it felt like I have known them for years. When we went to Skid Row I was nervous at first because I have never really seen anything like this before. The nervousness went away fast because we were all working as a team. Also, by the end of the day I was handing out Jesus bracelets to the homeless and wasn’t scared at all. I find that surprising because I am literally scared of everything, but this time I wasn’t at all, it just kind of fell together. After that weekend was over we had VBS and that went great. Both churches had a great group of kids. All the kids had their unique personality and each one had a story. It was such a great feeling when they knew the answers to what we asked. This mission trip was a great time and also it built my faith and taught me many different things.
            -- Sierra Pauley

Having the opportunity to be on this trip has changed/impacted my life in more than one way. From the moment I took my first steps onto the streets of LA, I knew that this trip would involve many ups and downs, but in the end, it has been worth it. Being able to serve at Skid Row was such a humbling experience. In the way that I realized that my life truly isn’t that bad after all.  I have a family that loves me, a roof over my head, and food to fill my stomach. What else could a person ask for? Most of the people on Skid Row don’t have the privilege to be blessed with any of these things. To be specific, there was a lady with four young kids plus a newborn strapped to her back. All I wanted to do was rescue the baby and find him a better home. No one deserves to grow up homeless. But life isn’t fair, and it’s pretty much impossible to help save all of man kind. Other than working on Skid Row, we helped with Vacation Bibles Schools and it was also a good experience. The kids at the various VBS programs were very welcoming right when we stepped foot into the churches. It was an overwhelming experience that I will never forget. I never would have thought that when my two weeks in California was over I’d want the trip to last longer, but I was wrong. This trip has changed my perspective and has opened my eyes for the future.
-- Abby Schmidt

Throughout this trip many wonderful things happen. You will meet many people and it is such a blessing. First off, Skid Row is a major part of this trip. It will most likely be the time that you realize many, many things. We have so much that we take for granted and I truly hate it. I do it myself. Once you come here and experience Skid Row, I promise that it changes. Secondly, you get the amazing opportunity to teach Bible School to kids that might not even know about Jesus. Teaching the kids is always a highlight of my day. There are many kids that you will open up to and you will find yourself attached to them. I was blessed to be able to see Heidy this year again. Last year I became very attached to her. I also got very attached to a little girlKhalea. I loved it when she would run through the door and hug me. God sent me on this trip a second time for a second reason. He has a plan for me as well as everyone else. I believe that this mission trip is a part of his plan for me. I hope by writing just this little information about how wonderful this trip is and how it touches your heart in so many different ways, so that othersmight consider going on this trip. God bless everyone who reads this.
-- Alexa Rowedder.

Once again this trip has been amazing for the third time. Every year I’ve grown in my faith tremendously. I’ve loved making new friends, both members of the IOWAY team and the students we work with at VBS. It’s amazing how some of the students remember us, our names, our likes/dislikes year after year. One of my biggest “Wows” came from a student in my class. He lives with Carlos, a boy I taught last year at VBS. This new student told me Carlos wished he was at VBS, but his mom signed him up for summer camp, so he couldn’t make it. But he told me that Carlos said hello and he reads his Bible that I gave him last year at VBS every night before he goes to bed. This was just another testimony that we make lasting impressions, more importantly Christian impressions, on these children and by doing that we lead them to Jesus Christ. I’m glad I came a third year. I’ve become stronger in my faith and have become more confident in proclaiming our Savior.
-- Spencer Owen

This trip was definitely a faith builder for me. It helped me remember and realize what we’re really suppose to be doing here, and that’s spreading God’s word. Many of the kids that I worked with and taught had such strong faith even when things were tough. They reminded me that God is ALWAYS with us and no matter what is happening, you always praise Jesus. There was one girl in my class who didn’t know Jesus at all and honestly that was a shocker to me. I often take for granted the fact that you think everyone knows or at least has heard of Jesus. She was interested though and asked lots of questions. I think that was one of the moments when it really hit me how important and crucial it is to be telling about Jesus and spreading His word. There is so many people  that haven’t heard about Him and need to. Also, this trip opened my eyes to how materialistic we can be. I think so often we try to find happiness in buying stuff and having the newest stuff when really none of that is really going to keep you happy. This trip has shown me that Jesus and God’s word and promises are the most important things in life.
-- Bailey Dammen

As one of the adult leaders on this mission trip it has truly been an honor and a personal faith builder for meto watch the IOWAY young adults on this trip witness and grow in their faith. They were all very willing servants of Christ and exemplified Jesus’ great love. I met many amazing people with their own Christian testimonials and they will continue to be in my prayers. As for the VBS kids we taught, some knew Jesus and some did not. I pray we touched their hearts so that those who believe continue to grow in the faith and that those who just are learning about Jesus that they continue to learn and accept Christ as their Savior. This is my fourth mission trip and each one becomes more amazing.
-- Doris Nahnsen

My purpose for this trip was to fulfill God’s plan for me. He has a plan for me, and just like the others who went on this journey, it was just another part of life that He has in store for us. God wanted me to be here to tell about His love for us, and how He sent His Son to die on the cross for us. Once you start letting other people “In” on his word and his love, their emotions brighten, and it builds their faith. That is if they have already heard about our Lord and Savior. This feeling is a thousand times better when you open up a new door for them and you’re the one to share the love of God with them for the first time. The kids you meet are so open minded and want to learn because a lot of them don’t feel love at home. Their relationship builds with God and you.
-- Emma Meseck

No comments:

Post a Comment